July 03, 2010

Alert: Teen hood on the horizon

The kids and I were watching a few videos on youtube yesterday and I decided to let them watch a Taylor Swift video. They aren't really exposed to all this Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift craze like most kids their age are. Being home schooled, tv viewing time is limited to educational shows sprinkled with  occasional  movies that we allow the kids to watch. Acne treatments, teenage struggles and the like are still a few years away but I know that they are inevitable, eventually. As a parent, I don't want my children to grow up too fast - a fact that happens to children who are bombarded by media. Not that there is anything wrong with Cyrus or Swift. It's just that I often see kids who talk, dress and behave beyond their years, mimicking a celebrity they've seen on tv.  Personally, we all grow up sooner or later. I just want it to unfold as normally as possible. I am just thankful that my kids are still kids, in the truest sense, enjoying every bit of their childhood, as much as they can... while they can.

For the teens out there:

0 comments: